Can you, as author, afford for your product – your work of art – to be any less than visible or desirable? No.
What is one of the key selling points of any product? The packaging.
What is a book’s packaging? The cover.
So, what’s the purpose of a cover? Many writers will say: “To get customers to pick up the book, or click on the download button.”
This is true. BUT, if the customer is to pick up or click and read the book’s summary, and realize that the cover and story have nothing to do with one another, then back goes book to shelf, or, the next eBook is clicked on. You lose a sale.
1. Get the customer to notice the book;
2. Pick up or click on the book;
3. Buy the book;
4. Read the book;
5. Talk about the book;
6. Repeat for next customer.
If your name is “Stephen King”, then that book can have a blank cover with his name, and it will sell. But until you reach such status, your name is not yet known, so your book’s title and cover art alone carries the day.
So where do you start?
You start by pretending you’re telling someone why they should buy your book. Point out the book’s strengths, its genre, its core, what it’s about and what makes it tick. These elements are your unique selling points, and should be conveyed through your title and cover art. And the ultimate purpose is to precipitate an emotional response from your customer. And the outcome? A sale. This is exactly why a professional designer is needed.
Starting to re-realize the importance of your book’s cover? You should. Because it’s not just about a pretty cover anymore, is it?
Look at your current book’s cover. And if you don’t yet have one, then think about book packages that work for you. Are all the elements of the cover presenting accurately, attractively and powerfully the appeal of the book?
So, in designing your product’s package, or, framing your work of art, realize the importance of your book’s cover. You must not just want a pretty cover – your book deserves a professionally designed package that will represent you, your story and product congruently.
- Jeanine Henning -
About the Cover Artist of the examples shown and Author of this Article: Jeanine Henning
She has worked with editors, artists and writers on many continents over the span of her career, adding to her diversity and flexibility as artist and designer. Jeanine still works closely with traditional publishers on cover and book art.
Recently Jeanine published her 1st Kindle book on Amazon – Nhakira “Chosen” – 4 more books are soon to follow. And many more after that!
For more information on Jeanine’s background and testimonials, visit her site at: www.jeaninehenning.com
And YES, you can get an exclusively designed cover by an industry professional for your book:
JH Illustration & Cover Design
• Why use JH? Because she has 15 years successful experience in the creative and publishing industries. She can assist you in answering all the points above to formulate your ‘package design’, and work with you in creating the perfect cover art.
• JH Illustration is capable of creating unique book covers for all genres at an excellent price and fast turnover.
• JH understands the fluctuating market of what’s-hot-what’s-not with current trends, and will make sure your book’s cover is up to date and ready to compete.
• JH approaches each cover with a very personal touch, and makes sure the ‘essence’ of the book bursts out on the cover at the customer!
• Click here to visit JH Illustration website now to learn more and find lots of sample covers.